Normsweb News:

I've deleted my YouTube channel.

This was not a sudden decision, I have been thinking about it for a while, ever since Google & Youtube began taking the piss out of everyone.

It came to a head as some of my videos got copyright takedown requests. The requests were from third parties and not the actual copyright holders. There was no way I could get YT to understand the requests were not from the correct copyright holders, they just sided with the takedown requesters.

So, its goodbye youtube, thanks for fuck all! I warned you many times that if you continued to take the piss you would lose creators!

I might re-upload my videos to Rumble or Vimeo at some time, but for now I'm taking a break from the bullshit.

Blitz Memories (let them not be forgot)

The first story is about my Grandad who was interviewed by a reporter for an article in a local paper.

If any of you have any stories or memories of the WW2 Blitz from your parents or grandparents please send them to me and I'll add them to this webpage. Click on the "Contact" link in the header to send in your stories. Please try to include which service or regiment the person was in so that others may identify with them.

David Parnell - 56th Heavy Artillery

Farm worker David Parnell recalls his years as an artillery gunner on the banks of the Tamar.

Written by Robert Jobson, from the Western Morning News 17th of May 2000, Transcribed by Norman David Green (Grandson of David Parnell)

David Parnell in 1942

Instead of savoring wedded bliss in the heart of Cornwall after marrying his beloved Josephine at St. Mawgan-in-Pydar, David Parnell found himself caught up in the Plymouth Blitz. With the Germans poised for a major bombing offensive on the Devon city across the Tamar, he ceased being a farm worker at Talskiddy, near St Columb Major, and joined the Royal Artillery.

His regiment was the 56th Heavy Artillery which consisted of Cornish-men armed with sixteen 3.7 inch guns set up on either side of the Tamar to defend Plymouth as best they could. David recalled: "Two of our batteries were on the Plymouth side, at Billacombe and Down Thomas, and the other two were at Rame Head and Carkeel where I was stationed."

"When the bombing was at its heaviest our site was hit by a 500 pound bomb which just missed a store containing 2,000 rounds of artillery shells. Thankfully no-one was killed or hurt in this incident. If our ammunition store had exploded it would have been a very different story and I don't expect I would be here today able to talk about it."

"I used to be able to go back to see my wife Josephine on short spells off duty at St Columb but for most of those first years of our marriage I was manning an artillery gun at Carkeel on the Tamar."

"What amazes me is that not more of us got killed or wounded because we had to endure an awful lot out in the open. Many people in Plymouth were able to go into their air raid shelters when the sirens sounded but there was no way we could go looking for shelter. We had to do our duty and hope for the best."

"The most terrifying thing was not the German bombs but the falling shrapnel from our own artillery guns in the area. "We could hear this shrapnel whistling down all around us. All we could do, when we were not firing ourselves at the enemy planes above, was to duck. The German bombers would fly up and down the Tamar, crossing over to try and hit oil installations at Torpoint."

David completed his time at Carkeel in 1942 and found himself being posted overseas with the Royal Artillery which meant that he saw even less of his Josephine for the remainder of the war. To her relief he eventually returned to Cornwall where he did a variety of jobs over the next 40 years, including building and working for the National Health Service as an NHS nursing care assistant at St. Columb's Retreat Hospital. David, soon to be 82 and married to Josephine for 61 years said: "I feel very proud to think I was one of many that helped to defend Plymouth in the Blitz years."

UPDATE: Sadly, on the 2nd of October 2009 my Granny and David's wife of nearly 70 years Josephine (commonly known as Lily) passed away at the grand age of 88 years. At the burial ceremony Grandad, now 92 and suffering with alzheimer's, looked into the grave and was heard to say -in his own style- "I'm not ready to go in there yet!"

UPDATE 2: Sadly, on the 30th of January 2012 my Grandad, David Parnell, passed away peacefully at The Hollies care home. I like to think he has gone to be with Gran again, as they loved each other beyond comprehension. Love you Gran and Gramps xxx

Jack Eustace - 56th Cornwall Anti Aircraft Regiment

Sent in by Jacks daughter, Elizabeth:

My Dad, Jack Eustace from Crowlas in Cornwall, was in the plymouth blitz serving in the 203 battery. He was very frightened and because of this he started smoking to calm his nerves. I would love to hear any stories from anyone about 203 battery.

If any of you know anyone who was in 203 battery or know any stories, Please contact me using the contact link at the top of the page. I welcome your stories to add to this page.

War Poem by Kira

This poem about the war was written by my friends 10 year old daughter, Kira.

Whilst its not strictly a 'Blitz Memory', Kira's poem tells a story about the war and I think that after you read it, you will also agree that it deserves to be on this page.

Here is a photo of Kira's original hand written poem (with transcription):

War Poem by Kira War

The Army runs,
With their guns.
All not well,
As lots fell.

Look into the sky,
Lots of planes fly.
World War II starts at night,
See the flashes of light.

As boots limp across the mud,
You can see litres of blood.
Changing skies to grey,
The people sit and pray.

As the Army fell on the ground,
The people were found.
Adults petrified,
Children terrified.


Read the Disclaimer - Sitemap - Read the Privacy Policy
Design and Content is Copyright of N.D. Green (
©2003 -